Skip to main content

learning from life

When the thought of having to close our school first came up and the suggestion to start creating distance learning materials arose I thought "How on earth can you do Education for Life at a distance?" So much of what we do is working with energy and magnetism. How can you send that home in a packet or through a computer screen?

Then schools closed and the reality is that, despite the challenges, this has been the perfect time for Education for Life. In fact, there is no wrong time, place or age to apply these principles. That's why it's call Education for LIFE! It prepares us to engage with and learn from everything we encounter in life. When Paramhansa Yogananda first founded his schools in India (from which our schools have drawn inspiration) he called them "How to Live Schools."

There is so much to be learned from life as it unfolding, pandemic and all! There is so much to be learned about "how to live" in every new situation. Even though we weren't in the classroom, learning continued and in new and unexpected ways. Students were learning how to stay positive and strong in the face of a difficult situation and how to be flexible. Parents were learning about themselves and their children in new ways. These are profound, lifelong lessons that are going to be with them for a long time and go far beyond any lesson we could create in the classroom.

It's a good reminder for all of us that we can let lessons come from our lived experiences. We can trust what's happening is here to teach us something. Whatever is happening for you right now, whether easy or difficult, uncomfortable, challenging, confusing or clear - it's all an opportunity to learn if we're willing to stay curious and reflective. Where can I grow in this? What is this situation showing me about myself, my attitude, my energy? How can I expand my way of seeing and relating to this situation?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

our potential

I think that sense that you have, when you’re caring for a child, that this individual child — just them, just because of who they are — is the most valuable thing in the world — not because they are particularly smart or particularly pretty; it’s just them; they’re incredibly valuable — I think that’s when we’re seeing people clearly. That’s when we’re actually understanding what human values are like. -Allison Gopnik from On Being podcast This is from an interview with Allison Gopnik, a professor of psychology and affiliate professor of philosophy at U.C. Berkeley. She studies the minds of babies and children to help us understand ourselves and what it means to be human. This entire interview was very moving but this part hit me so deeply today that I had to try to share.  In the interview, after the above quote, she goes on to say how she and her sisters joke about their grandchild being best. I think, even if we haven't had kids, we all can think of someone special that we...

appreciation

Today was our last day of online class. Never in my wildest dreams ever thought I would be saying those words or living this reality. It was, much like our virtual track meet on Tuesday, one of our best days of our distance learning experience. I would still have preferred to be together but it seems distance makes the heart grow fonder. I appreciate each of them and our class as a whole so much more deeply than I think I might have if we'd been going through our usual routine. It's so easy to get caught in a mentality of just getting through to the end of the year. I'm thankful for the slowness, for the shift in perspective, that this time has offered.  As part of our time together I read them a story called The Invisible String by Patrice Karst. It was hard not to cry while reading it! The message is this: we are all, always, connected by invisible strings of love that connect our hearts and we are never really alone. Such a sweet way to end our year and this strange time...

uncontainable joy

A friend posted this picture on Facebook today and it made me smile. So much natural, uncontainable joy! This is who we really are.  I miss being around the natural joy and delight of the children at school. There is something so precious about their discoveries, the way they see things for the first time, even when it's not the first time. The amazement over ice crystals in a frozen puddle, the caterpillar in the road, racing to climb the cherry tree at recess to eat the not-yet-ripe cherries.  In my mind and in my heart I can almost hear and feel their excitement when we discover something new or come upon some new question or connection in our day. It feels so alive to be in those moments of wonder and curiosity and appreciation with them. Ever new. The question is: can we experience these moments of authentic shared presence and collective curiosity and discovery through distance learning? What does that look like?  I'm craving the beautiful mix of spontaneity and rou...